You are here
Getting Your Voice Out There
A Networking Guide for Business Professionals and College Graduates
Written by Jacob C. Herman
Professional networking might sound intimidating, but it is an important skill that will help to ensure that college graduates and professionals are presenting themselves to potential employers and business associates in the best way possible. Professional networking is communicating openly and professionally with others within your chosen industry. Networking can include attending a job fair, a trade or industry event, attending a conference, a professional luncheon, or through a professional networking website on the Internet. The key difference between a traditional interview and networking is that networking typically takes places outside of the normal office or work setting. Networking gives job seekers an opportunity to meet, talk with, and impress industry professionals, and it gives industry professionals a chance to get to know potential employees in a more casual and reflected setting.
Before heading off to your next professional luncheon or job fair, it is important that all job seekers understand the impact networking can make on their career. While the atmosphere may be a bit more relaxed, it is important to remember that you are in a room with people who could potentially offer you a position with their company or firm. It is important that all job seekers come prepared with the essentials, including business cards, copies of your current resume, and your best manners. The same can be said when using networking websites. Using prompt response times, professional communication and language, and readily available materials, such as electronic copies of your resume, will help to show industry professionals that you are serious about your career. 70% of all jobs are obtained through networking, according to the U.S. Labor Department. The following resources will help you to prepare for the world of professional networking. Why Should You Network?
- Professional Networking Presentation — A PowerPoint Presentation about networking, why it's important, and how to master networking skills.
- All About Professional Networking — General information about professional networking and the different areas in which it can take place.
- Networking on the Network — A Guide to Professional Skills for PhD Students, including basic professional networking information that is applicable across the board.
- Professional Networking Information — Learn more about the importance of professional networking to get your name out into the job market.
- Professional Organizations and Networking — How joining a professional organization or a professional networking group can help you to achieve your professional goals.
How to Network
- How to Network Professionally — This simple checklist is a good starting point for professional networking.
- Steps to Successful Networking — Ten tips to help you master online professional networking.
- Professional Online Networking — An article about how to network successfully over the Internet.
- Building Your Professional Network — An informational workshop about the importance of professional networking.
- How Do I Build My Network? — Basic information to get you started on the path to successful professional networking.
- Professional Networking Information — Handouts and information regarding the development of student's professional networking skills.
- How to Network When You Work Alone — Tips to help business owners and sole proprietors get out there and make new contacts.
Popular Platforms for Networking
- Online Professional Networking — Learn about the different forums and outlets used for professional networking on the Internet.
- Networking and Young Professional Organizations — A list of professional networking organizations.
- LinkedIn — This is one of the most popular and far reaching professional networking websites on the Internet today.
- Biznik — A professional networking website for entrepreneurs and other professionals.
- Ortegra — A UK-based website for business professionals.
- Cofounder — A networking website for those who have just taken the next step in their professional career, like a new investment or business.
- Ecademy — An online community that encourages business professionals to share their experiences and ideas.
- Entrepreneur Connect — Connect with other business professionals and business owners through this professional networking platform.
- Professional Networking Links — A list of many professional networks available to business professionals looking to make more contacts.
Do's and Don'ts for Professional Networking
- Professional Networking Etiquette — Learn the basic manners and etiquette for professional networking to impress potential employers.
- Online Networking Tips — Information and suggestions that business professional can use to help them hone their professional networking skills.
- Professional Networking Tips — This list of suggestions provides good information for professionals to help improve their networking skills.
- Professional Networking Tips for Women — Ladies, pay attention to these helpful professional networking tips before heading off to your next job fair or industry mixer.
- Networking Tips for the Over 50 Crowd — The rules may have changed since you last entered the job market; read this to help you compete with other job seekers.
- Tips and Statistics for Job Seekers — Learn more about how you can benefit from professional networking.
- Professional Networking Information — A collection of articles about how to most effectively professional network and job search.
- Networking Tips — An overview of some basic professional networking tips for job seekers.
How to Build A Professional Identity
- Develop Your Professional Identity — A brief article about the importance of presenting one's self as a business professional.
- Managing Your Professional Identity — A presentation about establishing and maintaining your identity as a business professional.
How to Get a Job
- How Do I Look?: How to Get a Job — Appearance is an important aspect of your first impression, learn how to look more professional.
- How to Get a Job — A presentation that will help you be more successful at landing a job in your chosen field.
- How to Get a Job in Politics — Politics is a very competitive area. Learn what it takes to succeed.
- Job Questionnaire — Ask yourself these simple questions before walking into your interview to make sure you are as prepared as possible.
- You Have a Degree, Now Get Your Job — Basic information for college graduates entering the job market.
Written by Jacob C. Herman