You are here
Germanic Language Resources
German is one of the world's most widely spoken languages and it is the third most-taught language in world. It's spoken differently in different regions – meaning that "standard German" actually has several versions! It has two dialects, Low German and High German, derived from Old High German, which in turn originated from Old Saxon, the language spoken in Denmark by the Saxon people on the west coast of Germany. In 1800, standard German went from a mostly-written language to a more commonly-spoken language as the regional dialects began to die out. After that, standard German became the national language spoken by everyone.
- German Culture And People : Has information about the German language, German culture, and the German people.
- German Language Guide : Provides information about how to pronounce German words as well as information about nouns, pronouns, verbs, and prepositions.
- Everything About Germany : Has a good mix of links about various subjects related to Germany and its language.
- The German Way : Offers information on many different subjects related to Germany.
- Dutch Alphabet : Has a visual guide with the Dutch alphabet on it. It also has a pronunciation guide.
- Introduction To The Dutch Language : Offers a guide to spelling, pronunciation, vocabulary, and sentence structure.
- Dutch Language : Has information on Dutch grammar and dialect.
German Travel Guides
- German Heritage Sites : Has information about famous churches, homes, and places of interest for people looking to travel to sites with German history attached to them.
- Best Places To Visit In Germany : Has a long list of the best places to go when visiting Germany.
- Travels Through Germany : Provides information on yearly German events, cities, and places to find hotel and lodging.
- Travel to Germany : Offers information on specific cities so you don't have to use answering services and access local voice mail while in Germany.
- LonelyPlanet Germany: Has valuable information for those traveling to Germany.
News Media and Radio
- Kidon Media : A great place to find links to Germany's most popular news sites as well as the web pages of their newspapers.
- German Times : An English page that focuses on news out of Germany.
- BÃ¶rse Online : A very popular news site based in Germany.
- RBB : A radio station based in Brandenburg, Germany.
- Berliner Abendblatt : A popular Berlin-based newspaper.
- Hamburger Morgenpost : A Hamburg-based newspaper.
Literature and Language
- History of German Literature : Has good information on the evolution of literature in Germany.
- Goethe's Faust Translation : A translated version of the famous German writer Johann Wolfgang von Goethe's Faust.
- How To Learn German : A great place to go to learn German.
- German Poems : Many poems by the famous German poet Bertolt Brecht.
- Learn German Guide : Has information about the best places to learn German in a German-speaking country.
- German Cultural History: Has biographies of famous Germans, with a large section specifically on famous German women.
Written by Jacob C. Herman