You are here
Written by Jacob C. Herman
The study of theology has been practiced for centuries. Theology is the science of religion and the study of God. While theology can mean the study of any god or religion, it is most commonly associated with the Judeo-Christian practices and faith. The science of theology dates back to ancient Greece when early philosophers studied the deities of the Olympian gods, although Jewish practices were considered to be in place since the beginning of human creation. For the past 2,000 years, the practice of theological Christianity has taken place since the life of Jesus Christ. Theology provides an expectation and philosophy for those who practice it and who share in its beliefs.
- American Bible Society: A resource center for learning about the Bible and its distribution to churches and people.
- Blue Letter Bible: Bible commentaries and a search tool for users to find information about specific Biblical topics.
- Search God's Word: Daily devotionals plus a search method for specific Bible topics and versions of the Bible.
- Bible Info: Featured Biblical topics and a source for answers to questions about the Bible.
- Bibles for America: An organization that makes Bibles and Christian literature available to anyone in need.
- Biblical Studies: An online resource for studying the Bible.
- Living Bible Studies Online: Over 1,100 Bible studies available through print or audio form.
- Jesus Walk: A Bible study series focusing on both New and Old Testament passages.
- The Center for Biblical Studies: An organization providing degree and certificate programs in Biblical studies, as well as fostering relationships and focusing on the study of God's word.
- God's Word for You: The Bible's insight into the issues of life, including a thought for the week.
- Old Testament Timeline: Significant events of the Old Testament from the beginning of creation through the time of Herod the Great.
- The Bible: An Introduction to Jewish Scriptures: A comprehensive explanation of the Old Testament scriptures and backgrounds of the various sections.
- Old Testament Survey: Explanations and answers to questions about the Old Testament in a straightforward description.
- The Old Testament Canon: Some backgrounds on the Jewish text and the Christian Old Testament.
- Overview of the Old Testament: A brief summary of the books of the Old Testament and the meanings behind certain passages.
- An Introduction to the New Testament: Historical background, Jesus Christ, and the development of the early Church explained in a comprehensive document.
- The New Testament Recovery Version: A complete text of the New Testament available for reading online.
- An Introduction to the New Testament: A commentary about the books of the New Testament, including the Gospels, the Epistles, and the work of the early Church.
- The Whole Bible: A descriptive historical timeline for the New Testament as well as other sources of historical context.
- New Testament Timeline: A brief timeline of the New Testament from the birth of Jesus to the writing of the Revelation.
- Ecclesiology in Church History: An overview and summary of the practice of ecclesiology throughout the history of the church.
- Ecclesiology: Doctrine of the Church: The origins and development of the church and its governing principles.
- Ecclesiology: A background of the doctrine of ecclesiology throughout the timeline of the church, with scriptural support of theories.
- Biblical Ecclesiology: A discussion of the practice of historical ecclesiology in the church.
- Ecclesiology of the Emerging Church: A dialogue about the practice of ecclesiology as it relates to churches today.
- Liturgical Music Today: Guidelines for the practicing musician in the liturgical church.
- True Vine Music: A brief background of liturgical music, with several songs available for listening online.
- Liturgy and Church Music: A thorough document explaining the relationship between musical offerings and the church.
- Music for Liturgy: Many liturgical songs available for downloading and use, available as sheet music in PDF form.
- Liturgical Music: An extensive list of liturgical pieces available as audio files from Saint Michaels Church.
Schools of Theology
- Claremont School of Theology: College preparation for pastors and counselors in California. Affiliated with the Methodist Church.
- Candler School of Theology: Training for religious leaders located at Emory University in Georgia.
- Santa Clara University: The Jesuit School of Theology in Berkeley, California, providing instruction and ministry to graduate students.
- Fuller Theological Seminary: A comprehensive theological education with emphasis on character and ministry formation.
- Saint John's School of Theology: Academic, spiritual, and professional preparation of theological students, located in Collegeville, Minnesota. Affiliated with the Catholic Church.
- Evangelical Theological Society: An organization of evangelical scholars, pastors, and those involved in the mission to serve Jesus Christ.
- Catholic Theological Society of America: The promotion of research and studies in theology and the exchange of ideas with other disciplines.
- Wesleyan Theological Society: Exchanging ideas, stimulating scholarship, and providing academic resources for those interested in theology.
- Adventist Theological Society: Strengthening the mission of the Seventh Day Adventist Church through Biblical theology studies.
- Woodward Theological Society: Providing theological resources and education for those in the Detroit area.