Links and Resources on Tomie dePaola
Written by Jacob C. Herman
Acclaimed author Tomie Depaola is best known for his children’s books. His works are so innovative that he is considered to be one of Educational Paperback Association’s 100 top authors. Mr. DePaola is of Irish-Italian descent, and his personality shows the best of both ethnicities. His vibrant voice can be heard on his voice mail, which makes you wish you could meet him in person.
An author and illustrator in his own right, Mr. DePaola also illustrates other children’s books. His interest in art began at a very young age, and his parents supported this by buying him paints and art supplies and giving them to for Christmas when he was only nine. His interest in art, and his natural talent, was enhanced by his studies at Pratt University in New York. Mr. DePaola draws on his own life experiences and memories as inspiration for his books and artwork. Mr. DePaola considers himself a protégé of Wolfgang Lederer because he felt that Mr. Lederer gave him the freedom he needed to express himself.
Bibliography (Articles And Reviews About Depaola)
- Meet the Author/Illustrator: Tommy DePaola knew he wanted to be an author and artist when he was four years old.
- Uconn Advance: The Uconn Advance published an article on October 4, 1999, concerning the plans for the University of Connecticut to award Mr. DePaola an honorary degree at graduation ceremonies.
- One-on-one Conversation With Tomie: Mr. DePaola was invited by the Friends of the UNH Library to participate in a one-on-one conversation between authors and patrons.
- Cultural diversity: Mr. DePaola’s book “The Legend of the Indian Paintbrush” was mentioned in Teaching Multicultularism Across the Curriculum Using Children’s Literature as an example of cultural diversity.
- Tomie's “Best Picture Book:” When Everyone was Fast Asleep is mentioned in The Important Books: Appreciating the Children's Picture Book as a Form of Art
- Tomie Stagestruck Book Review: Stagestruck / written and illustrated by Tomie dePaola was reviewed by Kelley Rae Unger, Peabody Institute, MA.
- Popular and Prolific Tomie: Mr. DePaola was featured in the 14 th Annual Connecticut Children’s Book Fair.
- Buy Tomie's Books: Mr. DePaola’s book “Stagestruck” is offered for sale in this museum’s bookshop.
- Thomas Anthony DePaola: Mr. DePaola’s long and varied career can be viewed here.
- Mr. Frog: Four Friends at Christmas, was a feature title of Simon and Schuster Publishing Company.
- Tomie's Papers: de Grummond Children's Literature Collection at the The University of Southern Mississippi has 1 box of Tomie DePaola papers.
Unit / Lesson Plans
- Tony’s Bread: This book was used as part of a Social Studies lesson plan.
- Legend: The Legend of the Bluebonnet was read to illustrate a type of legend.
- Excavator’s Lesson Plan: The January 5-9, 2009, University of Houston Charter School’s lesson plans included two of Mr. DePaola’s books.
- Thematic Tomie Unit: Mr. DePaola’s books used at Columbia, Missouri, College to assist students in compiling lesson plans.
- Tomie Summer Reading List: Mr. DePaola was included on The Benjamin School’s summer reading list.
Awards & Recognition
- Birthday Bios: The Children’s Literature Network listed some of Mr. DePaola’s awards when recognizing his birthday.
- “ What Haven’t I Done Yet?”: Mr. Depola presented this lecture at the 10th Annual Effie Lee Morris Lecture at the San Francisco Public Library.
- 1981 Kerlan Award: This is just one of the many awards Mr. DePaola has won.
- Internationally-Recognized Author: The Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI) listed Mr. Depaola as a featured writer.
- Colby-Sawyer College: New Hampshire Public Radio announced that Colby-Sawyer College would open an exhibit featuring Mr. DePaola.
- Local author: Mr. Depaola gave a live interview at the UNH Author’s Series.