James Joyce Resources
Written by Jacob C. Herman
James Joyce is considered one of the greatest writers in the history of English literature. His extensive experimentation of the language had opened doors for many literary possibilities. He is known for his radical style of writing, and some of his works are so complicated that they are not entirely comprehensible to even the most accomplished literary scholars.
James Augustine Joyce was born in Dublin on the 2nd of February, 1882. He studied in a Jesuit School, and then, he went on to pursue an education in language and philosophy at the University College of Dublin. He produced some literary works when he was still in college, including a review of an Ibsen play as well as poems. In 1904, Joyce started to live with a woman called Nora Barnacle, and the relationship produced a son and a daughter. From 1909 to 1912, he traveled to Ireland a number of times to look for a publisher to print his first novel Dubliners, which was eventually released in England in the year 1914. During one of his travels, Joyce met a poet called Ezra Pound, who made arrangements to get financial support for him, and this allowed him to keep writing for most of his life.
In 1914, Joyce completed two novels, one of which was A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man . This novel was released in 1916, and it helped establish him as one of the most talented writers of that time. Later on, he relocated to Zurich with his family, and they experienced great poverty while he was writing his next novel, the Ulysses. This novel was released in Paris in 1922, and it is considered by many Joyce admirers as his greatest work. After Ulysses, he produced one more major work, Finnegans Wake, before he passed away in 1940.
Here is a list of websites and web pages that offer more information about James Joyce.
- James Joyce Centre: A website that is dedicated to the celebration of life and works of James Joyce.
- James Joyce Information: Provides a wide range of information about James Joyce.
- Biography of James Joyce: A comprehensive account of the life of James Joyce.
- James Joyce Profile: A Time article about James Joyce and his contributions to western literature.
- James Joyce Biographical Information: The life story and works of James Joyce, as well as links to related sites.
- James Joyce Scholars’ Collection: A collection of materials on James Joyce’s works for literary scholars.
- James Joyce Collection: Extensive information on James Joyce’s life, including his works and letters.
- E-Text of Dubliners: Full text of James Joyce’s Dubliners.
- Summary of A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man: Summary and study guide for James Joyce’s novel, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man .
- E-Text of Ulysses: Full text of the Ulysses by James Joyce.
- Interpretation of Ulysses: A discussion on James Joyce’s Ulysses.
- Notes on Ulysses: Notes and analysis on Ulysses by James Joyce.
- Ulysses Review: A review of James Joyce’s Ulysses by Dr. Joseph Collins.
- E-Text of Finnegans Wake: Full text of James Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.
- Finnegans Wake Criticism: A list of links to websites that provide critical discussion on Finnegans Wake.
- James Joyce Poems: E-text of James Joyce’s poems.
- James Joyce Web Resources: Links to websites with information about James Joyce.
- James Joyce Scholar and Student Resources: Web resources for scholars and students of James Joyce’s works.
- James Joyce Information and Criticism Resources: A selection of links that provide access to information and criticism on James Joyce’s works.
- James Joyce Links: A links page to various websites that contain information on James Joyce.
- James Joyce Review Resources: A resource page with links to literary criticisms of James Joyce’s works.